Thursday, October 6, 2011

My First Week At The Chef's Table

Well the first week was eventful (considering that it has been me first real look into a real restaurant).
There was just one little hiccup that first day, I was supposed to a statement from my parents saying that they would not sue the restaurant if/when I hurt myself, I was just planning on having them write something on a spiral sheet, but on my way there my father that that it was a better idea to run to his office (with ten minutes till I was supposed to be there) and wrote something that seem to come from a lawyer. by the time we got out of his office we had five minutes left, luckily my father drives a slick black jaguar and was able to speed me there, right on time. when I opened the door the first person that I talked to was one of the chefs, troy. they kitchen was one of the smallest I have seen, with about two and a half feet in between the line and the pass, and a small back room for prep. after talking with troy about what I was expecting and about what I was going to do. after talking with troy he handed me off to a man named mark (or Marco), He was in charge of pantry. I was helping prep mostly, but I also paid close attention to the dishes.
After about the clock hit 4:00 Mark left for school (he attends the UVU culinary arts program). soon after the other pantry chef Vance arrived. I continued to prep and clean, still just getting used to the kitchen and the way it works. I left at about six - six thirty, due to the lack of things to prep by the end of the day.

I went in every day at about 9:00 - 9:30 AM, leaving around six. I later met the other chefs.
there is Romero, a Hispanic man who works the main line.
there is also Cameron, he works the grill, For some reason I feel that he is the one that i need to impress, don't know why though.
there is Emilio the dishwasher, he is from Mexico and dose not speak a lot of English, listening to him talk to the other chefs I have picked up a little more Spanish, but they are all insults.
and finally there is peter, the other chef and owner, the first thing he dose when he comes in is greet everyone in the restaurant enthusiastically, he is a very happy person and seems to be a great chef.

The kitchen dynamic is strange to say the lest (in my opinion that is a good thing) and seemingly random times the kitchen staff may make some sort of animal sounds or cartoonish laughter. There is also a surprisingly lot of ass-grabbing, between the men. I guess the small kitchen dose stuff to you, it is all playful though (no homo).

I have loved my first week at the chefs table, i am so lucky to have gotten this.

1 comment:

  1. Do you love to cook or like to eat healthy food? Paleo Recipe Book gives lots of healthy recipes which will help you to get healthy.

    Find out the great Recipe Book here: http://f4ce0-i8w6vb8ybkrd62p5tc0n.hop.clickbank.net/

    ReplyDelete